Here’s advice about By-laws for a Friends group from FoKL.
BY-LAWS FOR THE FRIENDS OF THE ______________ LIBRARY
ARTICLE I: MEETINGS
- The annual meeting shall be held in (month). Members shall be notified in writing at least two weeks prior to the date of the meeting.
- Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held throughout the year on specific dates agreed on by the Directors.
- A simple majority of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of organizational business.
- Either the President or the Vice-President shall be present at all meetings.
- All annual meetings shall be open to the public.
ARTICLE II: DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- The President shall:
- Preside at all meeting.
- Appoint all committee chairpersons and coordinate their activities with the consent of the Board of Directors.
- Represent the organization before other organizations or associations, or delegate a representative.
- Be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee.
- Prepare an annual report to include information on the activities of the past year for the annual meeting.
- Act as a liaison between the Friends organization and the _________Library, or delegate a representative.
- The Vice-president shall:
- preside at meetings and perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President.
- Preside as chairman of the Program Committee.
- . The Secretary shall:
- Keep the minutes of all Board and annual meetings and distribute them to the Friends Board, the Library Board and the Librarian.
- Issue notices of the organization’s meetings.
- Assist the President in conducting the organization’s correspondence.
- Maintain the files and historical records of the organization.
- Perform other duties as are customary of the office of Secretary.
- The Treasurer shall:
- Be the chief financial officer of the organization.
- Make regular written financial reports to the Board of Directors and at the organization’s annual meeting.
- Keep an account of all money received and spent by the organization. Deposit all receipts in the financial institution designated by the Board.
- Pay all bills as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Collect all dues, maintain a current list of paid members, and regularly inform the Board of the status of the membership.
- Perform other duties as the Board of Directors may prescribe.
ARTICLE III: VACANCIES
The President, with the advice and consent of the Board of Directors, shall appoint a member of the organization to fill any vacancy on the Board of Directors. The appointed person shall serve until the next annual meeting.
ARTICLE IV: COMMITTEES
- Standing committees of this organization shall be: Program; Finance and Fundraising; Membership; Projects; and Publicity.
- The Chairman of each standing committee shall be a member of the Board of Directors.
- The President, with the approval of the Board of Directors, may appoint such other committees as are necessary for carrying out the mission of the organization.
ARTICLE V: DUES STRUCTURE
Dues shall be payable annually and the amount thereof shall be proposed by the Board of Directors and ratified by the membership at the annual meeting.
ARTICLE VI: PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
All meetings shall be conducted according to Robert’s Rules of Order, revised, except when such rules are in conflict with these Bylaws or with the laws of the State of Kansas.